If you were anything like me, when you heard the term digital marketing, you immediately thought social media. In order to digitally market your company, you need a Facebook and Twitter account. WRONG! Digital marketing is so much more than Facebook and Twitter and this class showed me how to expand my digital marketing skills.
Search Engine Optimization is a facet of digital marketing that will help companies appear higher on search results, when done correctly. Most people don’t click to the second page of search results, so SEO is beneficial for several reasons.
- Increase the number of visitors to the webpage
- Gain more clients
- Have an edge over your competition
- Increase brand awareness
- Establish your company as a powerhouse
These are all very beneficial rewards of utilizing SEO, however it has to be done right in order for these results to occur.
Here are some tips to maximize your SEO results:
- Regularly produce original content
- Use headings and tags for content to be found
- Include links to reputable sources
- Have reputable sources include links to your website
- Stay up to date with the current Google Algorithm
This is a great way to track and analyze the success of your website and SEO progress. Google Analytics is incredibly user friendly and easily helps to draw up reports providing companies with valuable insights.
You should use Google analytics if you’re looking for metrics on:
- The demographics of your audience (Male V. Female, median age, mobile V. web)
- Time of day you receive the most interaction
- Click through rates
- Campaign measurement
- Key Performance Indicators
Learning all of these factors helps to understand your audience, when you’re getting the most exposure and helps determine what’s working and what isn’t. Ultimately it provides direction on what methods should be used when implementing the next marketing plan.
Blogging is another aspect of digital marketing that helps to increase engagement and interaction with the brand. Blogging shows the human side to the company and gives it a voice. A blog is where company representatives can become approachable to consumers.
This style of writing allows for more engagement and encourages consumers to interact. In every day life a typical consumer would probably not be able to have a conversation on the phone with a CEO, however, with a blog this becomes possible. The CEO can post thoughts, product progress or new ideas on the blog and consumers can read his/her direct thoughts and comment back. In a really good blog, the authors of the articles will respond back to the comments and generate conversation.
Some tips for a successful blog include:
- Use pictures and visuals to aid the writing
- Avoid large blocks of texts, make it easier to scan
- Write in your own voice and show personality
- Use bolded headlines
- Encourage readers to comment and interact
- Provide thoughtful responses to comments
All these different factors contribute to the overall digital marketing toolbox. Much more sophisticated than simply creating a Facebook page and Twitter account!